A Day in the Life, 12 Month Edition

It’s been 6 months since I’ve written a “day in the life” post so it’s definitely time for an update. Ben is almost a completely different person than he was at 6 months!

7:30 AM: After we started sleep training Ben, he learned that he needs to stay in bed until 7 but he usually doesn’t wake up or holler to get out of bed until around 7:30. 6 months ago, I would have given my right arm to be able to sleep to 7:30 on a regular basis. He’s not a perfect sleeper but we are thankful that he sleeps in. I had been up every hour for part of the night between the cats prowling, Ben waking up, and me being worried that Ben was cold (the temp dropped into the 40s at night and Ben’s room is the coldest in the house). B planned on getting up at the same time as Ben this morning anyway so he brought Ben into our room to nurse and then changed his diaper and took him out to the living room to play so I could go back to sleep.

8:30 AM: I couldn’t sleep (story of my life) and kept thinking of all the things I need to get done this week so I got out of bed and snuck toward the living room to check on my boys. B was starting to catch up on work emails and Ben was happily playing on the floor. I heated up oatmeal for Ben and put him in his highchair to eat. We’re getting new carpet for the living room tomorrow so B started moving some of the smaller things (end table, large baskets, etc) into temporary storage. Ben was tired of oatmeal so he had a few cheerios so B and I could move the antique glass cabinet into the family room, where it will be safe from little boys who like to hammer on things.

9:15 AM: I was starving and Ben was antsy to get out of his chair. He went back to his toys to play and I fried an egg for my breakfast. I put on Baby Mozart for Ben so I could eat in peace without him begging for something he wasn’t allowed to eat yet. B showers and heads off to the basement office.

9:45 AM: I’ve caught up on emails, surveys, breakfast, and blogs and Ben’s show is done. As he is crawling around, he tries to stand up by holding onto the ottoman but his hand slips and he bonks his face. His lip is bleeding a little but it doesn’t seem to bother him at all. I always feel awful when he hurts himself but really, there is nothing we can do. He isn’t doing dangerous things, he’s just learning new skills and while he can stand up 98% of the time just fine, once in a while he tips over.

10:15 AM: Nap time for Ben! I changed his diaper (very, very dirty), found his burp cloth and pacifier (or boppy, as it is called in our house), and we cuddle in the chair in his room and read The Napping House. Both of us adults love this book and highly recommend it. I put Ben in his crib, tell him to have a good sleep, and shut the door halfway. He must have been exhausted because he fell asleep in 5 minutes, without throwing out his boppy multiple times. I love when Ben takes a morning nap because it gives me a chance to get moving quickly. I finish cleaning up breakfast and shower. I’ve been meaning to mix up some miracle lotion for the last week but keep forgetting so I made sure to put this at the top of my list today. This stuff really is great, especially during winter for people with chronically dry skin like me. Ben wakes up as I pour the finished lotion into storage containers so I know that I won’t be able to finish cleaning the kitchen like I had hoped.

11:30 AM: Ben quickly nurses (only 5 minutes total this time) and wants to get off my lap to play. We need to run to the dollar store before lunch so I distract him with a toy and change his diaper and get him dressed. We go downstairs to B’s office to let him know where we are headed and tell him I’ll make lunch when we get back.

11:45 AM: At the dollar store, picking up silverware and thank you cards for Ben’s birthday party on Saturday. We didn’t want to throw a huge party but even with just parents, siblings, and closest friends coming, we’re still planning a party for 20 people! Ben is an angel at the store and isn’t at all grumpy even though we’re close to lunch.

12:15 PM: We’re home from the store and I pop Ben into his high chair with his sippy cup while I open and rinse some black beans to make quesadillas for all 3 of us. B has a 1:00 meeting so he decides to eat after the meeting so he can actually relax during his lunch break. This is Ben’s first time trying a quesadilla and he gobbles it down! He makes the sign for water and means it, which is a HUGE break through! He’s really starting to understand why he needs to use signs instead of just mimicking us when we do it.


Baby’s first quesadilla

1:15 PM: Ben is done eating before me so he goes off to play and I can enjoy the rest of my lunch as well as read a few blog posts. I can hear a toy scraping against furniture and hurry into the living room to figure out what Ben is doing. He took one of his red painted toys and was rubbing it against the green tv cabinet and it left little red scratches everywhere!



Thankfully, a bleach-free Lysol wipe takes it right off. Ben goes back to destroying the living room or playing, this time with me as an accomplice.


Reading books is always fun

2:15 PM: B is done with his meeting and ready for lunch and Ben is ready for his afternoon nap (3 hours between naps). I’ve already changed Ben’s diaper (the second nasty one today) so B takes over reading a book and the multiple redirects to teach Ben to go to sleep while I make B’s lunch and clean up the kitchen. It takes Ben longer to fall asleep this time than this morning but it isn’t terrible. I finish making lunch, wash dishes, hang up clean laundry, finish emptying a suitcase that we were done with last week, and sit down for a bit to start this blog post and research pricing for Subway catering for Ben’s party. I tentatively decide what to order and text my choice to B to get his input.

4:00 PM: Ben is awake so I get him up to nurse. He’s fun to nurse now because he knows and understands what it means when I unhook my bra. He gets very excited and tends to start rooting around before I’m uncovered! We play peek-a-boo for a few minutes when he’s done eating before he slides off my lap to read books and poke at the (unplugged) space heater. The sun is finally shining and I got an email from the library that a book I requested had arrived so I ask B if he has time for a walk today. He does so we plan to leave after he is done with his daily 4:30 meeting. We love walk, especially when it means we get new books!

5:15 PM: B is done with his meeting but not done working for the day. He has a side project commitment at 7 so we have to keep our walk short. We walk to the library, pick out 4 new books for Ben and 2 new ones for me. We are so thankful we live within walking distance of a great library! It saves us a ton of money that probably would be spent on books otherwise.

6:00 PM: Ben is ready for dinner and does he ever eat! He eats a half of a cup of chicken noodle soup (minus the broth), 3/4 of a blueberry muffin, and a large piece of cheese. He has blueberry smeared everywhere; I even find some on his ear!

6:30 PM: Ben and I play for a little longer before starting his bedtime routine. Tonight isn’t a bath night so it only takes about 15 minutes.

6:45 PM: B wants to move the tv, tv stand, and armchair out of the living room before his 7:00 meeting starts. I put Ben safely in his crib with toys so we can move things without tripping on him.

6:50 PM: Diaper change, pjs, and more books to read. I enjoy 3 of the new library books but Ben is super tired and ready to sleep. I put Ben in bed and tell him goodnight.

7:00 PM: B is still working so I make myself dinner and sit down for a bit to read. We’re getting new carpet in our living room tomorrow so once B is done with work, we will be moving heavy couches and ripping out old carpet and tons of little staples.

8:15 PM: B is done with work so we start on the living room. It takes much less time to empty the room and rip out the carpet than we thought. I thought we wouldn’t be able to move the old stuff to the garage but it was light enough. After a few hours, carpet is gone and staples are out. B sweeps the subfloor while I go nurse Ben one last time before bed.

10:30 PM: Ben is fed and I am exhausted. I wash up and get in bed. Shortly thereafter, I pass out!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s